WHAT IS PEER SUPPORT?
Those struggling with any mental health issue often feel extremely alone. Clinical care can address disease symptoms, but does little to relieve the debilitating sense of isolation.
Peer Support provides hope. By connecting one-on-one with a Peer who has experienced and overcome the same challenges, people with mental health issues can take the first steps toward achieving a more fulfilling life.
HOW IT WORKS
- Anyone with a mental health challenge of any kind can receive Peer Support.
- Simply contact Project ABLE by phone, email, or stop by one of our two locations.
- You will be paired with someone with shared experiences who can relate to your issues – because they have experienced them as well.
The Peer Support you receive is defined by you. It is your personal journey to recovery; defined by you and centered around you.
WHY IT IS EFFECTIVE
- Peer Support is Person-Centered
Every individual’s recovery journey is their own.
- Peer Support is Strengths-Based
Every person has potential and it is their unique strengths that will determine their evolving story.
- Peer Support Respects Personal Choice
Each individual is recognized as the expert on their own life.
- Peer Support is Holistic
It embraces all aspects of an individual’s life, and not just their diagnosis.
- Peer Support Builds Community
Starting with a one-on-one, trusting connection often leads to the desire to connect with others.